Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hollywood Bowl and Kurt's Birthday


We went to the Hollywood Bowl to see Elvis Costello and Steely Dan on July 13th for Kurt's birthday which was the next day, the 14th. First up was Elvis Costello and the Imposters:



Then after that was Steely Dan Founded by core members Walter Becker and Donald Fagen in 1972.



We really enjoyed the concert and it was Natalie's first visit to Hollywood Bowl. I grew up going to the Bowl as a child and we always went at least once a year till 1996. In 1997 I was too big and pregnant to go and we kept on putting it off. I was so happy when Kurt called and said "how about I buy 3 tickets for my birthday." I got excited! We brought sandwiches. pears and Trader Joe's Popcorn and drinks. Natalie helped me prepare the picnic so when Kurt got home we were able to drive to the "Park and Ride". Best way to go is to take a shuttle because the parking is expensive and stacked.




We had a bus take us to the top, where you give your tickets and get on the escalators up the hill.





We were seated in P2 which was close to the bathrooms, if you don't mind walking up a few steep walkways to get there.  There is special seating and pricing for those that are handicapped.


Next time we go I want to see a Fireworks Concert like this one:


I guess I'll have to wait till next Summer to see the 1812 Overture, but I've seen it many times in the past.  Something else to share with Natalie.



On the 14th my Mom and her husband Lon came over for dinner and we had Black Forest Cake for dessert.  I love how Vons/Pavilions make their cake.  If you order one layer instead of two for $11.  It's half the price and plenty of cake for the 5 of us. Yum!  He couldn't have asked for a better birthday.