Wednesday, November 26, 2014

How Vitamin D2 Saved Me

In October I went to my physician and asked again..what is wrong with me?  

In 2005 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and my health was going down hill fast.  When you have Fibromyalgia it affects almost every part of your body.  Not only was I in pain and very tired but I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and having low kidney function (not drinking enough water.  My hair has gotten thinner and thinner in the last 15 years.  It is very demoralizing for a woman to loose her hair.  A lot of the time I was feeling that everything was my fault.  I didn't exercise or eat right.  When you don't feel good you seek food that is easy to get or make.  I was eating too much processed food and worst fast food.  I've been addicted to sugar and craving sodas all the time.  I knew I was killing myself but had no energy to make things better.
  
My 50th Birthday, October 30, 2011

In the last year I've had a nodule and an enlarged thyroid.  I was doing several biopsies at the Endocrinologist for Thyroid Cancer.  Immediately my right thyroid was fine, but I had to have the left one tested over and over.  Finally, they said they would see if it changed size because the tests kept on coming back inconclusive.  What was strange was that my thyroid levels were all ok. 



The other day I went for another ultrasound and the thyroid hasn't grown.  I'll return again in 6 months to see how my left thyroid is doing.  I'm glad that there isn't anything wrong with the nodule on the right. 


When I saw my Doctor, Oct first, she had my Vitamin D levels checked and I am extremely low so I started to take a Vitamin D2 supplement of 50,000 units, once a week for 3 months.  D2 is a prescription and D3 is what you can get over the counter.  We can become deficient in Vitamin D because we don't have enough exposure to the sun, medicines that deplete the vitamin D, wearing sun screen, and more.




Looking at the chart above I'm seeing why I've felt so awful. Here are foods that are rich in Vitamin D.






I've been eating all of those foods, but my medicines were depleting what I was taking in.
In the past few weeks (I just took my 3rd capsule today), I've been feeling better and better.


 While I'm taking the 50,000 unit capsules I have to be careful about not getting too much vitamin D.  Most multivitamins have Vitamin D and too much is not good for our bodies too.  In the meantime, I'm taking Vitamin B12, Magnesium and Vitamin K2 which helps the Vitamin D to be absorbed correctly.  At this point I'm not asking for Vitamin advice and I'm still figuring everything out.  When the 3 months of the D2 I'm going to see what I need to do next. 

In the last 6 months I noticed that I was losing inches because my clothes were starting to fall off my hips.  Sure some were stretched out but I have some sweats that won't even stay up because they are too big.  When I went to check out my thyroid nodule, I was weighed in I have lost 12 pounds.  I am happy about that but need to loose much more.  Instead of focusing on my weight, I'm focusing on what I need to do be healthy.  I haven't drank any soda for a week and I haven't had any fast food.  

We've all been more aware about the stuff that is put in our food and how to make it better.  We rarely have any pasta, potatoes or rice with our dinner.  Oh we still eat starches, but not every day.  When Kurt cooks he steams a vegetable and makes a big salad, then we have chicken, salmon or beef.  I've drinking tons of water that is filtered through our "Pur" filter.  We've used it so much that it's cracked and we need a new one.  What's funny is that I crave water now.

This is going to be a long and slow road to recovery but I need to make the right steps  toward improving my life.  I'm sure I'll slip and have a soda or some other sweet but as long as I get back on the right path again I'm ok.  I know that I have to give in to some things and not deprive myself, just not over indulge and ignore my body's signals when I'm feeding it too much "junk".

Most recent photo of me.

We were celebrating my step-sister, Jennifer's 50th birthday by having picnic at Topanga Beach.  

If you think you are vitamin D deficient, have your Doctor test to see if you are.  I'm so glad I finally found this out and want everyone to be saved too.


Now I'm going to go have a big glass of water and make some breakfast.

No comments: