Wednesday, August 13, 2014

San Diego, Moving, Swedish Aunts and Cute Dogs

I was in San Diego, California helping my sister move.  I took the train from the San Fernando Valley (suburb of Los Angeles) to Solana Beach train station.  This took 4 hours but I didn't mind, I was resting, reading a funny book and reading a "First" magazine.  I didn't move heavy stuff but helped keep our Aunt Anna Stina (short for Christina) and Rocky, and Anne-Marie's adorable Chihuahuas/Terrier busy.  

Morster (aunt)Stina and I kept busy telling stories, playing with Rocky and helping my Anne-Marie fold and pack stuff.  Her Apt complex had 2 dog parks.  I went to the one closest and let Rocky off her leash while keeping an eye on the other dogs and meeting the owners.  I was happy to see the new place has many little dogs too, but no dog park.

One evening Anne-Marie took us to dinner at Poseidons in Del Mar that is right on the beach.  We were there before the crowd since the Del Mar Race Track was still open.

My Aunt, like her sister, was born and raised in Sweden.  My Parents immigrated to the US in the 50's and have lived here since then.  Anyways,  up till November 2013 my aunt has lived in Bromma, a suburb of Stockholm, Sweden.  The only time I got to visit her was in 1965, when I was 3 and in 1978, when I was 16.  We call our Aunt, Morster Stina because Morster is mother's sister in Swedish.  While we were joking around I realized that I was a Morster to my sister's children and a Farster to my brother's son.  My parents are Morfar and Mormor and my husband's parents would be Farmor and Farfar.  Well you get the idea.  My parents think this is practical since you know exactly who is being talked about.  

That evening we went swimming in the pool.  It was the first time that Stina had been swimming in two years.  Her hips and legs felt so much better after that swim.  Unfortunately we all got too busy to swim again.  Luckily the new place also has a pool.

8 days flew by fast and I spent 2 nights in Anne-Marie's new place.  Morster Stina went home with me, on the train, so that Anne-Marie had time to get the house unpacked and cleaned up.  Morster and I had a good visit and a few small naps before getting home.  Then we went to lunch and out for Mexican food for dinner. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Glad your Aunt is still able to get around. Love ya Aunt Carole