Monday, August 13, 2012

We had a Small Kitchen Fire

My  husband bought me a thing to put around my neck and shoulders when they were sore.  He had been using it a lot since he injured his shoulder starting the lawn mower.  He's gotten physical therapy and stuff, but it still bugs him.  Anyways,  The thing is filled with lavendar and beans and stuff and you are suppose to microwave it to heat it up.




One day I was in my room and he was in the office and I could smell a strong smell.  I got up to do something in the kitchen and was about to tease him about cooking his neck.  Then I looked down the hallways, toward the kitchen, and there was black billows of smoke.  I yelled out, ran in the kitchen and he got the fire extinguisher and put the fire out.  He said between getting the fire extinguisher and getting it to work the fire was starting to get bigger.  Whew!!!  We got the fire out but it took weeks and weeks to get rid of the smell.  Our clothes, bedding, towels etc stunk.  We had to rewash stuff.  I waited out, in the backyard, while the smoke left the house.  I have asthma and can't be in that.




Eventually he got the microwave outside and we let it sit there for a while.  Finally I got the nerve to open in and check out the damage.  Here are the pictures:


Inside Microwave

We are very glad I smelled it in time.



2 comments:

barbandemily said...

So sorry to hear about the fire in your microwave! Glad you caught it in time! I use a seed bag heat wrap a lot as does my Mom. Thanks for the heads up.

Katharine Devinney said...

I meant to clarify that it was the microwave that was faulty, not the sead bag heat wrap. Thanks for your comments. :)