Monday, February 11, 2013

Vintage Travel and Instrument Collages

This past Saturday I went to a 50th Birthday party for Peter and David, who I've known since we were babies.   Peter's parents let me live with them in Santa Monica, for one school year, so I could go to school there.  David moved back east when we were young but is now in Northern California.  I wanted to make them something that represents each one.

For Peter I created a collage of vintage string instrument pictures.  Some of the pictures were in black and white, colored and sepia tones.  I used picmonkey.com to make all the pictures sepia tone so they would look good in one collage.  I got most of the images from The Graphic Fairy.  If you are looking for the images, look under instruments and music, on the Fairy's site.

 I didn't take pictures of the finished product, framed, cause I forgot, but you can see what the print looked like.  Here is what I did:


David is an inventor with computers and other things.  He also loves to travel so I created a transportation collage.  When he saw the gift he said, oh they are all inventors, I didn't think of that I just knew he likes to fly and travel.  These are mostly from the Graphic Fairy too.  If you go there look under vintage cars, vintage planes, vintage boats and Steam Punk.  Here is what I did with his:


I was glad to create a gift that didn't cost me a lot other than buying frames and frame mats.

They had a great party with over 100 people.  Luckily I was able to get both of them aside to give them their gifts.  I think they were both touched that I created something so personal.