Sunday, October 3, 2010

Spooky Monday-10-3-2010-The History of the Jack O' Lantern



 


Immigrant Irish men and women brought many Halloween traditions to the United States.  Of of them was having
Jack O' Lanterns.  Rees were people who went around and pretended they were fairies.  They would carry around turnips with carved faces.  Later on people realized it was easier to carve pumpkins, which leads to the modern day
 Jack O' Lantern. 



Halloween Superstition:


A burning a candle inside a jack-o-lantern on Halloween keeps evil spirits and demons at bay.



For Halloween I'm working on a few things and finding my decorations.  In the meantime I thought I'd share a great place to get Holiday stories, poems, crafts, history and more. http://www.holidayspot.com/




The Story of the Jack O'Lantern


I'm linked up to:





for Collage Monday

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Just popping in from the Monday hop. Great blog--I love the Halloween theme! I'm now following. Stop by when you get a chance!

living well, spending less

Design It Chic said...

I am now following you thanks to Follow Us Monday Morning, and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
Also don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic or easy blog design tips, you know where to come!
Today we teach another one of our easy HTML tutorials, so make sure you don't miss it! Happy Monday!

Carol Lawrence And Stacy Toten said...

Hello, new follower here!
Found your blog from the blogfrog facebook link! Love the Halloween theme.
~Carol & Stacy
Please come and visit us!
http://www.intentionalconsciousparenting.com
http://www.creatorscreatures.blogspot.com
We are also on the frog!

at the cottage said...

Hopping by on the Monday trail :0 I really enjoyed your photos of our favoruite month of the year for colour and fun :)

Happy Monday

dtbrents said...

I love the Halloween theme. The pictures are great. Doylene

Marie Young (Marie Young Creative) said...

Wow, turnips. Who knew!

Riema's Journey said...

following you back, thanks for stopping by

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

Great post! I only just recently learned about the Turnips, very interesting! Your Halloween button turned out so cute!! Thanks so much for linking this one up to Brag Monday.